How to use Nutanix X-Ray to run any vdbench workload at scale
Many storage performance testers are familiar with vdbench, and wish to use it to test Hyper-Converged (HCI) performance. To accurately performance test HCI you need to deploy workloads on all HCI nodes. However, deploying multiple VMs and coordinating vdbench can be tricky, so with X-ray we provide an easy way to run vdbench at scale. Here’s how to do it.
Step by step instructions to add vdbench to X-Ray.
- Download vdbench from the Oracle site
- Get the vdbench x-ray test scenario from github https://github.com/garyjlittle/xray.git
- (You can clone the repository to a laptop, then upload to your X-Ray server)
- Rename the zip file downloaded from Oracle to vdbench.zip The X-ray scenerio relies on the zip file having exactly this name.
- Go to your X-ray server and upload the vdbench.zip file and the vdbench x-ray scenario files to the x-ray server.
- Ensure that VMs created on the cluster will have access to the internet, they will need to be able to install a JVM in order to run vdbench.